The Indianpost

Katia winds bring death and chaos

A motorist died and an 11-year-old boy was taken to hospital after the remnants of Hurricane Katia brought 80mph winds to Britain.
But although further blustery conditions are expected, the winds will not be as strong as they were on Monday, forecasters said. Thousands were left without power on Monday night as gusty weather caused damage to buildings and resulted in travel disruption around the UK. In County Durham, a driver died when a tree hit a car on the A688 at Dunhouse Quarry, between Staindrop and Barnard Castle.

Durham Police said a passenger in the car was taken to hospital in Darlington with injuries which are not thought to be life threatening following the incident at about 3pm. Meanwhile, an 11-year-old boy was taken to hospital in Bradford after he was hit by a roof blown off a garage. West Yorkshire Fire Service said the boy was rescued from the debris in Roper Lane, Queensbury, by firefighters and taken to hospital by ambulance. The boy was taken to Bradford Royal Infirmary but his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Firefighters in West Yorkshire said they were called to a number of other weather-related incidents including two in which telegraph poles came down, setting fields on fire. Steve Ellison, a forecaster at MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: “The winds have eased quite a bit overnight and haven’t been as strong as they were during the day (on Monday). We’re looking at winds of just over 50mph, possibly reaching 60mph in the most exposed areas.”

He said there will be showers across much of the country, but the heaviest rain will be confined to north Scotland. “There will be further heavy and persistent rain across parts of western Scotland and the Highlands. Later… that will go into Northern Ireland and southern Scotland and then overnight into northern parts of England but it’s getting lighter as it moves south.”

Comments are closed

Photo Gallery

Log in | Designed by Connect Pacifica